Sunday 19 March 2017

From PhilH: Curtgeld - The Chevalier Bayard (25 Points)

One last entry from me to close out the Challenge. I really didn't want to close without painting my Curtgeld, but I was flummoxed by the call for Challengers to 'team up' to present their tribute, and someone too distracted and disorganised to coordinate something with fellow Challengers. Thankfully, IainW swung to myrescue, having a plan and the miniatures, only just needing a willing painter. I jumped at the chance. It was cutting it fine, the miniature arriving through my letterbox with barely than a week to go, but here we have my AHPC VII Curtgeld: The Chevalier Bayard, depicted after the Battle of Marignano, 1515:




The Battle of Marignano pitted the young King Francis I of France against the Swiss Confederacy during the Italian Wars, and resulted in a decisive French victory, establishing the dominance of French Gendarmes and artillery over the Swiss phalanx tactics. In celebration, Francis requested he be knighted on the battlefield, by the Chevalier Bayard. Iain had suitable miniatures for both the King and Chevalier.


Chevalier Bayard, real name Pierre Terrail (1473 - 1524) seems like one of those larger than life figures of history, known as the "knight beyond fear and reproach", though he apparently preferred just "the good knight". He was considered the epitome of chivalry and most skillful commanders of the age. He boasts some rather fine headwear and fashionable mustard leggings.



Iain will be painting King Francis himself. Once based together, they will join Curt's Italian Wars collection. My deepest thanks to Iain for providing the miniature, background and excellent choice of subject for Curt's interests.

And thanks to Curt once again for administering the Challenge - I've not participated as much as I'd have liked this time around, but it's still been thoroughly enjoyable.

______________________________

This is so awesome for several reasons. One, is that I've been planning to do a Bayard vignette for my Italian Wars collection for quite some time now, with the OCD research taking up several pages in my paint notebook. But this is so much better, as this will be a beautiful rendition created from the hands of both Iain and Phil, two very talented hobbyists. Thanks so much guys!

Phil, this is a lovely figure, and a great representation of Bayard. I love his armour, plumage and leggings, being 'All Business Up Front and All Party Behind'. How very French. Briliant. :) 

13 comments:

  1. Oooh, that is a pretty knight Phil! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's turned out really well, you've done a lovely paint job on him and his mustard pants are inspired!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit, I am pleased with the mustard leggings, 'all party behind indeed'!

      Delete
  3. The plumes and leggings look great, and the armour is nice and smooth. Excellent work.

    Brings to mind some of the Empire foot knights I used to see in GW Fantasy forces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. He does have that OTT-but-not-ridiculous mid-90's GW Empire look to him.

      Delete
  4. Just gorgeous - I'm looking forward to seeing him on table!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Curt, I'm delighted that you like Iain and I's small token. Hah, who needs OCD research when you can get by on a wing and a prayer and some mustard leggings? I do hope you'll still do a vignette so I can see your own interpretation, which I've no doubt will be inspired. I expect your lead shed may have suitable miniatures squirrelled away already...

    ReplyDelete