Wednesday 11 January 2017

From IannickM : Halflings, Part I (25 Points)

So last Fall I'm minding my own business when I see on Facebook an add for a Halfling kickstarter. The company who produces the range is called StoneHaven Miniatures (never heard of them). The concept art is quite fun, and I do like my Halflings (play one, Cedwick Bloomberry, in our Warhammer RPG campaign). So I push the "Follow" button. And as the campaign advances they keep coming up with more awesome concepts, it tickles my nostalgia D&D button and...yeah you know where this is going...I cave in, lost my mind and went for the "Completionist" reward. Yep, the whole range, around 50 of the little buggers. 

The figures were all individuals and in my eyes didn't fit at all in a big battle "Warhammer" type game, which I usually play. Fortunately, I've been looking at doing some fantasy skirmishes for a while; projects that are faster to paint, and easier to play on a whim with a friend or two. I figured the Halflings would provide the first side, the "good guys". So I decided to wait for the Challenge to start painting these little guys. The plan is to paint 5 of them per week, give or take a few weeks.

And it starts this week. As I mentioned, what I really love about the range is that each figures represents a RPG "class" or "profession", and every one of them is unique and full or personality. For this first batch of 5, we have the fighter, the chief, the cleric, the archer and the Rogue.

From left to right: fighter, cleric, chief, archer and rogue





The figures are lovely and super detailed, and have that Halfling caricatural look that I like. While painting them I realized one doesn't save that much time  when "batch painting" 5 completely different figures with different colour schemes! I wouldn't paint 10 at a time, that's for sure. 

I painted each one individually, but I did favour green and brown tones, which I find are traditional Halflings colours. I went with a super old school "goblin green" style of base to get a bit of that old 80s Citadel/AD&D vibe, but also because I didn't want to detract from the figures and wanted to keep a very woodland vibe to the whole bunch.

So 5 28mm (if a bit of the smaller side of the scale! ) figures equals 25pts for this week.

ByronM: Looks like one last minute entry for this Wednesday, and what a lovely entry it is!  Cool miniatures, and an excellent paint job, especially on something that small Iannick.  I like all of the different colours you used here, and the super clean painting. I can't wait to see the rest of these as they are done.  I have images of them fighting their way through a dungeon in one of our Otherworld games vs the Pig Faced Orcs and the infamous Murder-hobo's. Well done, 25 last minute points for you.

40 comments:

  1. What a fantastic post to end the Wednesday offerings. I can see why you went for this Kickstarter. I love the painting style. The middle guy (the leader I assume) looks like a halfling version of John Cleese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.. I think I just became a new fan of this miniature line. You really did a nice job of bringing out their character. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. They are a bit small, but large in caracter ;-)

      Delete
  4. I do like Fatlings. For me they are the heroes of LotR Nice simple unassuming folk yet when the going gets tough they show a level of Grit that is exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I'm playing one in WHFRP and you'd be surprised how much accurate Tolkien was. I'm always saving the other guys butt when shit gets real ;-)

      Delete
  5. Oh, they look great! Nice miniatures and very well painted. And batch painting really isn't working, when painting different models, but if you at least some same colors, then it might speed up things a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! It works for the metal work and the flesh basically, but it still saves me a few minute I figure

      Delete
  6. Great work on them Iannick! Great looking sculpts as well, no wonder you went all in on them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm a simple man; I see lovely figures, I pledge ;-)

      Delete
  7. Fantastic looking figures, great character, top job all round.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely work Iannick. I look forward to the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Started painting the bases on the second batch, so expect more of them next week ;-)

      Delete
  9. These are fine looking miniatures so hopefully the manufacturer will have good commercial susses with them. Your paint job is a great mix of classic and modern which really works with them

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely stuff. Brilliant little figures and you've done a top drawer job of bringing out bright colours instead of falling into a drab green/brown scheme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie. It was fun to be able to paint each one as an individual and for once not bother with "unit composition"

      Delete
  11. You've done a lovely job on these mate!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely minis and great painting Iannick :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work Iannick. "Kickstarter" and "Halfling" are generally two concepts I take a pass on, but my cynical nature stands smashed...these are excellent, and you have done some fine brushwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would've pictured you as a great Halfling fan ;-)

      Thanks!

      Delete
  14. Very lovely tones on the figures.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really love these guys - great figures with tons of character! The paint jobs are superb, they feel very clean and vibrant. Kinda reminds me of 16bit video game pixel art in a way. I also really like the treatment you gave the bases, it really compliments the figures and looks sorta like they're walking on a bed of clovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's the big heads, they make you think of the likes of 16 bit Final Fantasy, hey? Had the same feel.

      Delete
  16. Great half-men Iannick, I missed these at kickstarter

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice Iannick.They really fit your painting style.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely figures Iannick. I somehow missed these on Wednesday so am late posting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @John, Peter and Phyllion : Thanks again guys!

    ReplyDelete