Thursday 10 March 2016

From EvanH - An Adventurer, An Archer, and An Ounce (15 points)

My last weekly submission before the floodgates open and the final mad rush of submissions pours through (and I'm looking at you, Mr Docherty...). Thanks are in order to our Thursday Minion, the estimable Mr Mills, who has been an invaluable aide to Snowlord Curt in organising the Antipodean Contingent; well done, Millsy, you've been juggling live squid with all the aplomb of a professional live squid juggler!

But to business - my painting has slowed to an even slower crawl with the hot and humid weather, but I did manage three figs this week.  First up, a Copplestone Miniatures Armed Archaeologist from the excellent High Adventure range;


This chap is more tropical in his kit, but I didn't really do a lot with the base this time round owing to time constraints.


Still, he's probably up for some Lost World action on Skull Island or in Ancient Opar, and I'm quite happy with the textiles on this one. I'm learning a lot in the course of the Challenge, mostly by shamelessly plagiarising the work of better painters than myself!

Next up is a chap I've had in the lead pile for a while now; the Salute 2015 Agincourt Archer by the Perry Brothers. I've never been to Salute, but winning this fig on Pendragon Without's blog was the next best thing! PW has been off the radar lately, but if he's reading this, hope you're doing OK and that things are sorting themselves out.



The figure is a gem, as one would expect from the Perrys. He came with a number of posing options, but as soon as I saw that this gesture was on offer, there was no question. The old heraldic device, A Hand Dexter, Two Fingers Rampant. 


Now there's been a bit of debate as to the provenance of this gesture, but in this instance, I'll have to disagree with the experts and say that I like the notion of it originating during the Hundred Years' War - in your face, QI elves!


His hose are rolled down, I suppose to avoid unpleasant accidents while on campaign - that French pond water will get you every time!

Finally, the second half of last week's submission, the Snow Leopard (or Ounce, if we're in medieval heraldic mode) from North Star Miniatures' Frostgrave range, and the stablemate of the Nice Toad.

This was quite a challenge for me, as I rarely paint fur, let alone patterned pelts, but I think I've managed a reasonable approximation.


Good enough for the tabletop, if not quite the Golden Paintbrush of Montreux...


So that's all from me until the next Bonus Round (paint gods and weather permitting!).

Stay tuned...!

Ev
I'm sure there's a gag in here somewhere about an Archaeologist, an Archer and a Snow Leopard going into a bar but honestly I can't for the life of me think of a punch line. Anyone? Anyone?

Whilst I absolutely laughed my thongs off at "A Hand Dexter, Two Fingers Rampant" I have to say the best bit of this entry is the Snow Leopard's pelt. You've probably earned yourself some commission work from me on that one mate. It's bloody brilliant and I *loathe* painting stuff like this.

15 points for you and congrats on passing your initial points target as well. Cheers, Millsy

32 comments:

  1. Very well done, I love that archer and a great job on the Leopard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam, the Archer is a real find, isn't he?
      : )

      Delete
  2. Nice painting on all three. But sorry in this instance I am with the QI elves! (But they do seem to change their minds a lot!) Still a nice figure though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great figures. The archeologist looks like the American ones who appeared in Mongolia during the 30s and had many run ins (runs in??) with Chinese Warlord. Love the archer and the heraldry description. And you can paint spotted cats for me anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, what a cute puddy cat :)

    Nice work on these figs Evan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin, I'll try to keep him from getting treed by Brendon's wolves!
      : )

      Delete
  5. oh you confuse me with the arch sandbagger Mr Roussell...methinks

    lovely stuff ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So there aren't any more Mahdists or Camel Corps lurking in the wings? And God alone knows what Ray's been holding back!
      : )
      Thanks for the kind words!
      Thanks Dave

      Delete
    2. I did not actually deny it you might note,,

      Delete
  6. Cool, love the archer, I bet that although the sign had been around for ages the archers popularised it. There are no new ideas. The other figs are good too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing new under the sun, eh?
      ; )
      Glad you like the archer, he was a joy to paint.

      Delete
  7. Terrific stuff Ev! I absolutely need one of these archers ( I love the detail of the rolled hose) and the coat on that snow leopard is brilliant. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt! The snow leopard was a bit of a slog, but I think I got there!

      The Perrys are always reliable, and the archer is a great fig, isn't he? Who knows, there might be a few spare Agincourt Archers from Salute 2015 lurking on eBay, or languishing in the lead piles of some of our Challengers!

      Delete
  8. Great stuff Evan. I loved the first fellow - looks, like an armed version of the Man with the Yellow Hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just in case Chimpbot v1.0, aka 'Furious George' gets any ideas!
      ; )

      Delete
    2. Haha! Now you need to sculpt one of those dorky 10 gallon hats, paint it bright yellow and put it at his feet.

      Delete
  9. A great bunch of painted Miniatures. Top job on the Cat pattern. Love the 2 finger salute as well. Cheers mate

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice - the archer has a lot of character and the pelt of the leopard is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't choose a favourite, they're all great! I think the archer is a must-have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks!

      There are still a couple of archers around on eBay, as it turns out, but the postage to Oz is bloody ridiculous!

      Delete
  12. Evan that archer is most definitely the bomb! and none to shabby a job on the big pussy-cat fur either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty chuffed to see the reaction the archer and the leopard are both getting, thanks for that Sander!

      Delete
  13. A great selection! Love the archer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. All of them are grand, from the adventurer to the leopard and the excellent spots, but the archer is the best from the figure itself to all the work you did on him including the base! ;)

    ReplyDelete