Friday 4 March 2016

From DavidB - Off to the woods! (145 points)


And I'm off to the woods now- once I finish this. Land Nav, Ruck March, Weapons Qual, and other fun infantry tasks! ;)  I'm good with it as I do love the snow almost as much as the woods. I have finally finished my Empire Light Wizard and his posse of Light Acolytes. 

He and his crew were the most fun I had painting out of this group. I probably should've toned down the color some, but I think the purple and blue punches up the white robes and red shoes does scream OldHammer. They were exiled from my incomplete Empire Army that is now 99.9 % plastic. An old Elector count as a general is all that remains.


The fellows flanking the metal engineer -also exiled have replaced the Light Wizard.



The Bright Wizard from GW plastic kit. I may get another one as it has lots of great bits and you can make 2 wizards.

The bright wizard brings the boom to the battlefield. My daughters play the spectrum of pony elves so he will have plenty of Elven wood to burn! ;)


The Amethyst Wizard is my favorite, I like the background of them and their ties to the sect of Morr. Morr is the god of death and his priests tend to the dying and dead. They maintain the "Gardens of Morr"-cemetery - and ensure all is peaceful and quite as they continue silent contemplation and raise lavender roses in the cemetery. Should a Necromancer, Ratman, or some other foul miscreants disturb the peace, the Amethyst wizards and priests of Morr are very unforgiving! ;)


The engineer carries his tools and his repeating rifle, the wizards have all sorts of nifty details on them . 


And the greatswords....these fellows also were exiled and replaced with plastic troops. I dug em out of the lead mountain as they are the closest I have to Italian War troops although these fellows will instead be delving in Mordheim.


They took forever. I was experimenting with black vs white primer and expanded NMM to gold hues. I've repainted them so many times that I'm uncertain which ones started as white or black except for the champion who was coated white. I just can't quite get the yellow down yet on the armor or clothing.


These were a gift from a friend who gave me a lot of Wargames factory and GW scifi stuff. I have no idea where they were made.


They do have a lot of character and will be used as proxy bodyguard for my Tau Etheral.


I also plan to use them in pulp games and as an Alien force in my Sci Fi games with the kids. They may even appear in the Superhero gaming too! 


The fellow in the front is the leader as he has extra bling and no collar. I also painted colored spots on the heads of them all. Maybe paint maybe alien freckles. But the troopers have yellow spots and the caped fellows have blue ones. It was really a fun way to include them altogether with color, match them up to my Tau, and reinforce that these aliens also have a caste system.

These are the last of my Defiance Games marines. I added all sorts of bits to them to create the Genovain Dragoons. 

The planet Genova is largely agricultural with some nice beaches. The Genovian Dragoons were sent to reinforce another world. Shortly after their arrival an outside sponsored coup overcame Genovia. The Genovian forces hired a contractor to take them home, but unbeknownst to them the contractor was allied to the coup and jettisoned the "whole" army into deep space. 

The Genovian Dragoons are now a world-less mercenary force doing all they can to get back home. The mix of gear shows the hardships they have endured. Their story also is taken from a tale evolved by my kids and I from my own deployment when the family hit some rocky financial times due to political posturing and the kids were worried I'd be left overseas. This way I shown them daddy is coming home anyway possible.


These last 10 do not really count for points as they were block colored back when I first came home from Afghanistan. All I did was base em, ink em, paint some camouflage and highlight them.


They are my Scifi Jannisaries,  and this is a chalk of them as they fit perfectly in the VTOL. They excell in rapid response, ship fighting, urban ops, and recon. Evan also wanted to see some scifi Fez, and it wouldn't be AHPC without a few Fez! ;)
Well David, another breakneck-pace of painting even while you were supposedly going to take a "break".  Quite an eclectic assortment for us to enjoy here.  In fact, it seems to be some kind of informal commitment between you, the French Jester and Alex to hit us with the greatest variety possible in some of these submissions!

It is always nice to see Oldhammer figures.  Personally, I would rather have a root canal than pick up "Age of Sigmar", so there is always a twinge of regret when I see Oldhammer stuff but these sure do look fine.  The Greatswords in particular stand out for me.  You also have quite a show of Sci-Fi for us again.  Those Tau-look-a-likes are very interesting - maybe someone in the Challenge recognizes where they are from? They will certainly look sharp on the table.  I quite enjoyed the story of the Genovians, and the connection to your own family. 

All in all, another very nice entry. So the total is 13 28mm fantasy figures and 16 28mm Sci Fi figures, as well as 10 "bonus" chaps who don't score, but still add their bulk to the post.  Well, that will get you another 145 points! I wish you the best in your "fun infantry tasks" - although "ruck march" doesn't sound really "fun" to my soft civilian mind...

34 comments:

  1. Looking good in the woods David!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Fran! I'm one whuped Ole man now! Keeping up with the younger troops is exhausting! ;)

      Delete
  2. Brilliant stuff David. I'm seriously coveting your light wizard and friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Millsy! They did turn out very well! Hopefully I can get them in a Mordenheim game soon! ;)

      Delete
  3. These look great, even with the very dark photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martin!
      I used to take excellent photographs, but those were in the days of Koda chrome and manual cameras! ;)

      Delete
  4. Those mushroom headed alien guys are great! I'd love to get my hands on some. Any idea who makes them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John! I really wish I knew where they came from as I'd like to get more of them.
      I think they'd be a great alternative alien force and foot troops in pulp games! ;)

      Delete
  5. Great post David! Those wizards are ace (I particularly like the fire mage) and I also like those mushroom-headed fellows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Curt! It seemed appropriate to make the fire mage a ginger! ;)
      With all the Frostgrave stuff out there, my children have been influenced once again away from historical. I've been rooting through all my unpainted masses for more wizards!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you, Dave! Alas they are but a drop compared to your bucket of Sudan! ;)

      Delete
  7. This is a great submission, David, and what a span of genres and tech levels it covers! Terrific brushwork and basing as well.

    You have been busy - well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,Evan! I have been rather busy both on and off the field as it were. I am disappointed that you didn't even comment on the Janissaries! It was because of your last comment that I spent some time hunting the lads down! ;)

      Delete
  8. Uber cool stuff all round Dave, but I really like the Oldhammer a Empire guys. Great colours, vibrant bold schemes just smashing! You really should do some Italian Wars stuff. Enjoy your woodsy weekend.
    Cheers Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peter! Besides the FIW and WSS, the Italian Wars are a favorite. My old Platoon Leader introduced me to Nicco Macheveili which seems to have become quite the rabbit hole! ;)

      Delete
  9. like the big head greebly alien guys, never seen these before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris! I really wish I did know who made em! ;)

      Delete
  10. nice paintwork and great choice of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really brilliant stuff, the Wizards and Aliens are my favourites due to the colour palettes you've used!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sander! Probably the best thing about fantasy and Scifi is no color guides! ;)

      Delete
  12. Excellent entries there David! The high contrast paintjob really works very nicely on the Wizards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Samuli! I did have fun playing with the warm and cool colors. ;)

      Delete
  13. So much very good stuff I have no idea where to start. I rate it all very highly but the fact hat you are 99.9% finished on the empire army is awesome. Fantastic. And I wish you good luck with the army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much,Clint! I'm glad everyone enjoyed them!
      Unfortunately my Empire Army is not even close to being 5% done! It is just entirely formed from plastic kits with a lot of conversions. I may have to place them in the next seasons queue! ;)

      Delete
  14. Excellent painting! Those aliens are my absolute favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Moiterei! At first I couldn't decider on grey, green or brown skin. I feel the brown skin tones were the best choice. ;)

      Delete
  15. Really good painting. Those wizards are excellent. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool! I like the fire wizard, but the aliens are, well, really alien!

    ReplyDelete