Tuesday 9 February 2016

From BillA - 28mm Frostgrave Archers and Crazy Pete the Prospector (25 points)

I've been a bit behind on my painting, as reflected by my drop down the ratings board a solid ten places - yikes! I've been painting, albeit a bit slowly, and with multiple projects in varying stages of completion instead of working away on one at a time.  I did manage to get a couple things done yesterday, so let's get those uploaded.



First up are a set of four Bretonnian plastic archers from a few years back in Warhammer.  These were, I guess, give-away figures at some tournament or event - I got them for free off a guy on the Frostgrave Facebook page, and he had something like a hundred of these archers to dispose of.  Looking at them up close, I would have been giving them away too -- the detail is very soft and poorly defined, and on these guys I felt like I was actually painting facial features on to them, as opposed to painting the features that were there.  Oh well - I got what I paid for, I guess.  I don't have any real concrete plans for these guys, but they're there if I need to add some archers to a Frostgrave warband - hence the very generic color schemes on their clothes.



Next, something a little more exciting.  This is "Crazy Pete, Prospector" from Reaper's Chronoscope line.  He's exactly the sort of character you'd see Gabby Hayes playing in an old western, and I freely admit I found myself doing a bad Walter Brennan impression to myself as I was painting him.  In fact, Gina bought him for me for Christmas for exactly that reason - I had a "crazy old prospector" type character in the Dungeons & Dragons campaign I'd been running, called "Old Man Walter," who had that voice, and the figure reminded Gina of him.




With his jubilant pose, I wanted to do something a bit more exciting than the lipped slotta base he came with, so I grabbed a 50mm base, built up a little ridge from Green Stuff, and pressed his tab into it to make a slot for him.  I also glued a pair of cacti from a Pegasus Hobbies scenics kit to the base for a splash of color.  I've taken to referring to the resulting vignette as "Hooray, My Luck's Finally Changed!" -- with the assumption that, while leaping for joy at having found gold, poor Crazy Pete's going to end up tripping and falling into the cactus patch.





Nice clean painting on the archers Bill and Crazy Pete is just great - the cacti on the base are a nice touch. 

16 comments:

  1. I like Crazy Pete a lot and you got good results on the Archers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice bunch! I've painted those Bretonians and the detail is very soft on them, but you did a fine job on them. The prospector is the Dame of this ball! I like his animation and the cacti is a very nice touch! Did he score that off the earth elemental!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, with all the western figures I suddenly have in my collection, the idea of writing up a "Westgrave" variant for Frostgrave seems like it could be a possibility!

      Delete
  3. Ahh the old Brettonian archers have come up a treat. As for Crazy Pete I think most of us have weeks like that... or it may just be me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing wrong with the Archers - just a band of faceless mercenaries. ;) What's your basing material?

    As for the prospector - a great character figure - would fit in with Scooby Doo as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's just called "brown grit" from Army Painter.

      Delete
  5. Crazy Pete is awesome. I really like the addition of the cacti on the base.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work on Crazy Pete there, Bill, he's quite the find - I also heartily approve of the cacti on his base, we don't see nearly enough of them in 28mm!
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My better half found Crazy Pete, not me :) but she is a spectacular find!

      You'll be seeing more cactus from me - the box I bought makes something like 18 stands of them

      Delete
  7. I've always had a soft spot for those plastic archers. Nice to see them getting some love again. Crazy Pete is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work. Love that crazy guy and his extra good base. Prospectors are risk takers and gamblers so could make a good Curtgeld I think. cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about it, but I decided I didn't want to use any of the figures my better half got me as gifts for that - I didn't want her to think I was giving away something she'd given me. I've got something else lined up for my Curtgeld, and my final bonus round entry as well.

      Delete