Thursday 25 February 2016

From Barks - Imperial Assault Hoth figures (79 points)

Here are the rest of my figures for the latest Star Wars: Imperial Assault release.

Echo Base Troopers. I like the effect on their goggles.


This was my first ever attempt at snow basing, and I've been scouring the internet for tips for several months prior. Here's my final recipe:
  • Builder's plaster to build up the groundwork
  • Paint pale blue-grey, then drybrush white
  • Paint the figure, then varnish
  • Concoction of Woodland Scenics' 'Realistic Water' and 'Soft-flake snow' and Secret Weapon 'Ground glass'
Princess Leia. I like her attitude, and the contrasting pale tones of her clothes.


I enjoyed the monochrome Snowtroopers, they look sinister.


The Repulsor tank. I struggle painting vehicles. I repeatedly found myself washing it down and highlighting it up but just couldn't get happy with it.


Wampas! Not the most difficult paintjob, drybrushing over a blue-grey.


Barks kicks of this week's Antipodean contingent with another round of gorgeous Star Wars Imperial Assault miniatures. I must admit the more I see of these the more I'm coming around to them. It's Snow White and the Seven Stormtroopers folks! 
One of the hardest things to paint is large areas of white. Often any shading or definition looks forced or overdone but this is quite the opposite. Leia's outfit in particular is most convincing and certainly does justice to a wonderfully posed sculpt. Topped of with a good dusting of a thoroughly researched snow effect and she's enough to make anyone's brother go weak at the knees [ahem!]. 
I'm scoring the Wampas as 40mm minis so all up this wintery effort adds 79 points to the total Barks. Cheers, Millsy. 
PS. Am I the only one who thinks the Wampas look like they're snowboarding? "Whoa duuuuude, you like totally shredded that tauntaun!" OK, I'll get my coat...

38 comments:

  1. I do like them all. But a special mention for the Snowtroopers just seems appropriate. (I do not know why, it just does!) These are up to the high standard I have come to expect from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Clint! I enjoyed the snowtroopers and was happy with their final appearance.

      Delete
  2. The snow looks great, and you have done a superb job on all the miniatures. I'm with you on vehicles, give me the folds of cloth over the smooth panels of a tank any day! Millsy, however, may have forever changed my take on Hoth, with the image of snowboarding Wampas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Steve! I won't be able to take them seriously anymore...

      Delete
  3. Snowboarding wampas? Nice work on these Barks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liking that snow - great work on the white uniforms and fur as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work! A shame there are almost only doublettes for the common foot sloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love more variety too. I've seen some great headswaps but don't have the time myself.

      Delete
  6. Nice paintwork!
    the princess Leia is my favourite;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she is mine too.

      I almost don't want to use her in a game so she can't die!

      Delete
  7. Very fine work on them, Barks! I really like the snowtroopers, but the Rebel soldiers and the visors turned out really well!
    I was doing the same search on snow basing for the snowshoe tribesmen. And here I thought I was the only one who hadn't tried a snow base here! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David! I've been asking bloggers everywhere for how they do their snow basing, until I couldn't put it off any longer and had to do it myself!

      Delete
  8. Very nicely done.I like white figures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joh, I think they look striking on the tabletop.

      Delete
  9. Geat work all around love Leia the figure just exudes "sas"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A shooting pose would be cool, but I think they've captured her attitude!

      Delete
  10. Monochrome is difficult to paint and white especially so. You did a great job and these are striking in a group. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are brilliant Barks. You nailed the whites. I really like the yellow visor on the Rebel troopers and the tan on Leia's vest. I struggle with vehicles as well but I think you've done a great job on this tank. Question: What grey do you use as your base for your white uniforms?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snowtroopers were a white undercoat with a black wash then white again.

      Leia was Tamiya grey primer, left showing in the gaps.

      Delete
  12. Great stuff Barks! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Lovely figures, almost makes me wanna get some Star Wars figures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those whites...
    Great depth and smoothness to an otherwise difficult colour choice.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really good work. You are building one excellent Star Wars collection. Very nice and very tempting. cheers mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kiwi, it is building up to a small collection.

      Delete