Monday 11 January 2016

From SimonM - 28mm "Frostgrave" Imp (5 Points)

This 28mm metal model of an Imp is made by “North Star Military Figures” and can be bought together with a somewhat larger Minor Demon as code FGV302 from their “Frostgrave” range. As I wanted this miniature to be similar in appearance and colour to the “spindly insect creature with vestigial wings” depicted upon the blister I initially undercoated him with some “Vallejo” Heavy Bluegrey and painted his legs with Heavy Red. I then washed the grey areas with “Citadel” Nuln Oil and the red areas with Carroburg Crimson.
 
As I wanted to make the creature to appear as if he was transforming from stone to demonic flesh, I dry-brushed the upper part of the model with more “Vallejo” Heavy Bluegrey, and allowed my work to just slightly encroach upon the legs and abdomen as well. I then further tried to merge the two dissimilar coloured areas together by dry-brushed Heavy Red over the adjoining areas as well. The creature’s toes, head-horn and wing-horns were ‘picked out’ using a combination of “Vallejo” White and “The Army Painter” Strong Tone Quickshade. Whilst his eyes were created using “Vallejo” Dark Vermillion and “Citadel” Carroburg Crimson.


Well I wouldn't want to meet this guy in a dark alley!  Well done Simon.  I am a big wash and dry brush fan myself and I like the effects that you have achieved here.  The three before and after pics are great as they show how a simple wash technique really makes the details pop!  Good snow effects too.

32 comments:

  1. Looks great - I like the leg transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great Imp. It will fit in very well for Frostgrave. very nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Clint. Good to get my first "Frostgrave" mini for the AHPC 'in the bag'.

      Delete
  3. Lovely demonic work Simon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a very cool mini. Well done Simon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Curt. It was a very much appreciated Secret Santa gift.

      Delete
  5. Nice work I like what you did idea of stone becoming flesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam. Obviously I borrowed the idea from the packaging.

      Delete
    2. Ah well I didn't see the package for this one so I give you credit :)

      Delete
  6. Your wash and dry really works well on this guy, you can GET the idea of it's morphing from the paint job so well done

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ian. Nice simple technique but it's done the job.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks David. Well worth the extra bit of effort.

      Delete
  8. You made that transition from skin to stone look seamless. He's one scary looking bugger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. It really was a lovely little model to paint. It's a pity you can't buy him on his own as I'd get a few.

      Delete
  9. You've made a simple palette really work for you Simon. He's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. So glad I didn't just paint him all red.

      Delete
  10. Great transformation effects.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice color choice, Simon. Really cool to show the wash stages too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers David. I always like to see other people's WIP shots myself.

      Delete
  12. I like how the figure turned out and I appreciate your mini tutorial.

    ReplyDelete