Saturday 26 December 2015

From SeanS - Bertok the Barbarian - (5 points)

This should be my third entry in the challenge.

For a change of pace I decided to work on a single 28mm figure.


Bertok is a metal figure from Reaper that I got as part of a learn to paint kit. I had intended to follow the guide, but came up with some ideas of my own and did it my own way.


He is freakishly big and muscled compared to most 28mm figures, especially the ones from Games Workshop in the late 80's and early 90's.


I thought I'd paint him up as a Chaos thug for my up coming Chaos army. Although my army is going to be Tzeentch, Bertok's color scheme is slightly Khorne with the red and brass/gold accents. It doesn't come across in the photo that well but his hair is Purple. I used the Vampiric skin triad from Reaper and I really like how it came out. Just a hint of purple. Originally I was going t mix purple into my regular flesh color.

In a departure from the norm I only put grunge wash on the no flesh portions. I felt the brown in the wash would ruin the lovely pallor of the skin.

I hope you like him. Chalk up 5 more point. Woohoo!

Nice work Sean! I like his purple hair and the very pale skin-tone you chose to use. Very suiting for a barbarian of Tzeentch. For those who have read the Erikson books, this figure might make a good Karsa Orlong as well, with a bit of modification.
A very nice mini Sean! 

27 comments:

  1. An excellent combination of the eldritch and otherworldly with the brute strength of the barbarian. Not an easy balance to strike! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did the right thing deviating from the guide in the kit. You've really nailed the skin tone. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millsy, while not as long as most of my collection I held on to him for almost two years. Every time i got excited about a new idea for painting him I'd chicken out. The Chaos force just started to materialize after Oldhammer weekend USA. I started coming across random deals and it all came together.

      Delete
  3. Smashing skin tones, it's a nice change of pace to work on one 28mm figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tea Urn. I needed to just focus on one project and how to complete it to help relax my mind from batch painting.

      Delete
  4. I like the flesh tones. Very Chaos. I am sure he will be a great addition of any Chaos army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, I'm hoping so. I've got a bunch of figures in the wings. I don't know if they'll make it into the challenge though.

      Delete
  5. A disturbing image as ever I saw one... great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander. Yeah, I guy that big and pale with a massive axe showing up on your door step. Can't be good news.

      Delete
  6. Well done! The skin cae out great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moiterei, I was very happy with the Vampiric Skin tone triad.

      Delete
  7. Really nice barbarian, I like how his pale purple skin tone really contrasts with the eye patch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David B, I can't seem to resist using red on figures. I wanted the eye patch to pop a little. No boring black.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for all the nice comments everyone. I really enjoyed painting this guy. As always there is room for improvement, but I'm getting better at bringing my vision to life. I think I need to sort out my metallics a little as my 20 year old Bolt Gun Metal is having some real consistency issues and the Reaper metallics are quite different from it. I also need to figure out how to make my leathers with a little more depth. I may or may not have time to ponder such things during the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good call on the wash as it would have ruined an otherwise great finish

    ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian, I'm glad I restrained myself.

      Delete
  10. Great, he looks absolutely massive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin, I'll post a comparison photo when I get home. His true massiveness will be revealed.

      Delete
  11. He's got muscles on his muscles! Very distinctive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barks, that's what I said when I first saw him.

      Delete
  12. He looks like he stepped right out of a Gerald Brom picture. Very cool! I'm just picturing him towering above ranks of other Chaos Thugs. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David L. Reminds me of the Conan game stuff that should be coming from the CMON Kickstarter.

      Delete
  13. Hadn't seen this miniature before, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WN&TBlog, sorry I missed your comment when you made it.

      Delete