Sunday 27 December 2015

From BenitoM - 28mm Fallschirmjäger LMG Teams (45 Points)

Almost a week since the Challenge launch day, but finally I finished my first batch of models of the German Fallschirmjäger Platoon project for Chain of Command.


These are the LMG teams (2 per section) a total of 12 models and I bag my first points in the Challenge. I'm already working on the rifle teams now, the NCOs and officers later and finally a bunch of support assets.

All models are Warlord (from the older metal range, that I generally prefer to the new plastics) in 28mm. I plan to use these figures for the 44-45 period. They are painted with a mix of camouflage smocks (water- pattern and splinter) and Luftwaffe blue coats. 



My preference is to paint faded camouflage patterns. For that reason I tend to use quite diluted paint and mark the pattern in the form of shadows rather than solid painted lines, and to finish the model with one or two heavy washes of Vallejo Brown Chocolate.

Note that there are some good free painting guides available in Internet (the Artizan Models website is a good resource), but I strongly recommend the Osprey book of the Modelling series written by Jaume Ortiz and Daniel Alfonsea if you plan to paint and collect a Fallscirmjäger unit.


Beautiful work Benito! I like both the mixed pattern and muted tones of your camo. I know there are several of us who agree with you in preferring the older Bolt Action metals to the plastics as they are such good sculpts (and many of them have become rare as unicorns now). I look forward to seeing the rest of the platoon debut itself here over the coming weeks!
 45 points for your first volley (note: I give 1/2 points for prone figures). Welcome to the Challenge Benito!
And with Benito's entry over 1/3 of this year's Challengers have submitted an entry, which is great for our first week out of the gates. Keep up the good work folks!

20 comments:

  1. Fantastic Benito, really nice. The painting work is perfect!
    I like a lot the old "Bolt Action" miniatures; they are the best in WG catalogue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the challenge. Excellent painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharp looking troop, the camouflage turned out very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, I like your camo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are very good, love the eagles on the helmets and caps

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! The old metal warlord figures for bolt action are great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many thanks for your kind comments... now back to the painting table!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking Fallschirmjäger! Your take on the camo looks highly convincing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great first entry Benito! Looking forward to seeing more of your camo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice splinter cam and basing there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your approach to camo. I'll have to keep that in mind for my future projects. I particularly admire your devotion to painting both "moving" and "prone" figures--I do that too, and it can be kind of a drag, since you're effectively painting double the number of figures but only fielding half at any one time! But the aesthetic pay-off is well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice work! The camo especially is very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete