Tuesday 10 March 2015

AaronH - Twenty four 28mm Celts (132 Points)

This entry is twenty four Celtic infantry as a four element warband for Hail Caesar.  These 28mm figures are a mix of Black Tree, Warlord and Wargames Factory.


24 Celtic warriors with spears.
These are mounted on 60mm x 60mm bases from Litko.  There are six warriors per base.  I wanted a deeper, more chaotic looking formation than my Romans.


The shields are geometric shapes but no fancy free hand.
The front rank are, mostly, Black Tree designs Celts.  These were a gift from fellow blogger Jonathan from Palouse Wargaming Journal.  Please check out his blog.  He has eclectic tastes and great painting.  I always find inspiration on his site.


The Command stand.
I received the BTD Celts just before their Christmas 50% off sale ended.  I took one look and put in an order for more of them.  They are very handsome fellows with a load of character.


The one on the right with the green and white shield is my favorite.
The BTD and Warlord models were fun to paint.  Good detail and character.  The Wargames Factory were a mixed bag, as usual.  Some are great and some are horrible.  Ranked up like this the ugly ducklings are less visible behind their more handsome leaders.


This stand is all Warlord or Wargames Factory.
The Warlord transfers were worse than usual this time.  Every single one of them tore while I was removing it from the transfer paper.  I was going to be hand painting many of these shields anyway but that just pushed me to do them all.  I just didn't feel up to free handing Celtic designs though.


Celts from the rear.  A not uncommon sight on gaming tables the world over.
I really like the look of the element bases.  They are a pain to do the base work on but the end result is well worth the effort.  I'll do a few more warbands like this as well as more single based for skirmish.


Close up of the command stand.
I am still enjoying these models so they will get some more brush action after the challenge.  I need a few more warbands if I'm going to be able to match the Romans.


BTD Celts in the front.  Handsome devils.
I believe I've got enough models for three more of these warbands as well as both sling and javelin armed skirmishers.


Warlord plastics.  Still great looking models.
These twenty four models should put me over my second goal.  I'm going to sit on 1500 for the remainder.  I may get a few more models done but work has kicked up a notch and I'm just done by the time I get home.

From Curt:

I'm coming up for air to congratulate you on reaching your Challenge target - well done young man!! 

AND brilliant job on these Celts - I'm going to keep an eye out for BTD when I tackle this army as they look very fine here.

Again, well done! 

9 comments:

  1. A very colourful bunch of savage celts. That's a whole heap of painting. Well done Aaron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking Celt's they are inspiring me to prep my own 20mm bunch

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work hitting your goal. A very colorful bunch of barbarians!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like colourful figures but I would also like some more muted tones as well. But at least these do not look dirty and covered in mud. They look like they would take some pride in themselves. And so should their brash master.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome bunch of Celtic warriors Aaron :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on hitting that impressive points total!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love them, very colourful unit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very Nice looking Celts. I do like the look of large based elements but prefer to go with singly based. I may try my had at sabot bases one day.

    ReplyDelete