Saturday 28 February 2015

From SteH - Dwarven Pirates, Uruk Hai and more Sung Chinese (90 Points)

It's been a few weeks since I last a managed to post anything, I have been painting but I've been a bit preoccupied with a new job, trying to buy a house and still getting to grips with the change in culture after we moved to New Zealand.

Anyway enough with the excuses, first up is my entry to the comedic bonus round, just a tad late I know but I was just too tired to get the darn thing posted in time, so it will just have to be a regular entry. Why is this suitable for inclusion in the comedic round, well because I present five marauder miniatures dwarves, circa 1989 (I think ), these guys were back in the heyday of fun poses and bright colours. 



I acquired these second hand and stripped them down but never actually did anything with them. Then after painting up one of them as a pirate when we arrived in NZ (for variety as I'd been buried in Lord of the Rings) I got the urge to dig them out and get a small pirate company completed. 











Just a shame I was slack and didn't get em completed in time.

Next is the obligatory Lord of the Rings Uruk Hai, eleven of the angry looking chappies. These guys have been the theme for my painting challenge and hopefully by the end of the challenge I'll be able to have a very large game against ScottB with all the models I've painted during.


I managed to convert an Uruk captain, a few spare bits lying around, the application of a sharp knife and voila!



And finally some more Sung Chinese painted up for a fledgling Tsurannuanni force, this time five Shinzawai archers in their trademark blue. As the leading house of the Blue Wheel party it makes sense that they're in blue, we'll just have to see how long it takes me to paint up a few more houses and get a few Kingdom forces to pit them against.







From Curt:

A wonderfully varied submission Ste!

The Sung archers (15mm?) and Uruks (nice conversion on the captain) are great, but the show-stealers for me are those fabulous Dwarf pirates!  I remember coming across these years ago but have never seen any painted up - fantastic! I love the cacophony of colour, especially with the pistol-wielding conquistador with the puff & slash tunic.  Marvelous stuff.

Best of luck in your house hunting!

14 comments:

  1. Gotta love the dwarfs. I imagine that NZ is rocking after beating the Aussies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work! Those old school dwarves look great with their colourful equipment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful work Ste. Those Dwarf pirates are simply fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff all-round, but the Dwarfs must be my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Certainly a mixed bag. I also like the dwarfs but to this day have never liked the orange hair trollslayer look not understanding why a hair colour would make you more able to kill trolls. But Hey ho that's my hang up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Dwarfs steel the show but those Orc's will look the dogs danglies en-mass

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's quite a mix of figures! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great figures, the standouts for me are the Dwarf's. Keep em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! You missed due to hunting houses and I missed due to hunting markers! ;)
    Great entry! Nice conversion for the Urk captain and the berserkers are very good! I've always liked the one looking up and shading his eyes, but I never found him at the FLGS. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Dwarven Pirates! Especially the red hair stands out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful, I especially love those dwarfs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice! I concur that the dwarves are my favorites. Why does it seem like everyone is moving to NZ? I'm also very envious that you'll be able to game with Scott B. That looks like it would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great stuff Ste. Those dwarfs brought back memories certainly!
    Love the Uruk Captain conversion. Yep looking forward to decent size LOTR scrap when the painting madness is over!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, those dwarves bring back fond memories. They always seemed a little out of place compared to the GW ones, but then I guess that was the point of the "marauder" brand, to do something a little different. Really nice pai jobs too, very well realised.

    ReplyDelete