Monday 23 February 2015

From DaveD - The Sudan - Back to the Fuzzies... (724 Points)


After the predicted busy few weeks it's been back to the brushes properly. Having done about 80% of the Imperial forces I require I thought it was opportune to actually revisit the Mahdist forces and top them up. Over the busy period I was able to snatch an odd 15 minutes here and there so I prepared and constructed the the remains of the 14 boxes of Perry Ansar. Last weekend I broke out the airbrush to get a base coat on them.

Here we have a total of 62 Beja and 82 Ansar.. 144 figures altogether..this takes my total foot forces to around 800 figures - I really need to do a full count. The vision of 1000 is within reach.

Having worked out a simple set of processes during last year's Challenge for these I was confident they would not take too long. Doing a large number of figures together means the economy of scale comes into play. Just stick some music on or having something on live streaming. In this case I got through 23 episodes of Season two of "24".  It's allowed me to knock the painting of these lads off in about 7 days...


 82 Ansar 








62 Beja









Oh, and this should take me over 3000 points. Very pleased with the winter painting season so far. More about plans for this collection next time..I am off to  sort the next point bombe... And order some more bases  - Warbases , more tufts -Tajima, more paint -Vallejo,  some storage - Really Useful boxes. The economic benefit of the Challenge is kicking in somewhat.


From Curt:

Daaayum.  Make a mad dash to your fallout shelters folks, Dave's joined Mark in going nuclear. Wow. Just wow. Fantastic stuff Mr. Docherty, this mob is off-the-hook brilliant. I think I see a How-To article for Wargame Bloggers Quarterly on the horizon for you. :)

So, now that you've pierced the 3K mark, (and my hearty congratulations on that stupendous feat) I thought I'd gently remind you that last year Mr. Loki Esq. managed to hit 4180 points by the end of the Challenge. Hmm. A very honourable closing target I think. You know, just sayin'...

36 comments:

  1. Boom! Great stuff Dave! :) An impressive effort and agreed big batches and some decent stuff to listen to is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staggering! Impressive! Mind blowing! I didn't know ANYONE who could sit through that much 24 back-to-back without suffering a permanent brain injury but apparently it is possible after all. Oh, and the minis are not bad either :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. indeed - if I hear Jack Bauer shout "Where's the bomb! " one more time!

      Delete
  3. Astounding stuff. Puts my struggles to get paint on far less figures into some perspective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its all relative i guess - i have just been doing things like this for years so you get used to tuning out...

      Delete
  4. I am blown away. I thought I had done well but you have doubled mine and then some. Awe inspiring. I am more than a little bit jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. seeth awat Clint! glad you were blown away!

      Delete
  5. That is an amazing output for about a week's work Dave. Now, crack on - we want to see the rest of these to complete the thousand by next week ;)

    Congrats on breaking the 3000 barrier :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was a busy week.. but they are pretty simple overall. no fussy details. Wll maybe not this week... but soon..

      Delete
  6. wow !! impressive !! well deserved 724 points and congrats for the 3000 (and more)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that's a decent sized entry if there ever is one! Impressive work Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man your painting is impressive both in volume and quality... where do you keep all this stuff. Even if I could paint this much I would run out of storage space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lucky my daughter moved out 18 month ago and i laid claim to the room!
      I do have to look at some storage re-arrangements mind with the amount of kit here. its not going to be the figures that are a problem , but the viallges and stuff

      Delete
    2. hope she doesn't have to move back in :)

      Delete
  9. It had to happen, what a great entry in all respects. Funny enough I ordered more bases from Warbases and tufts from the same guys

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ian.. i have had to serious top up.. as running out of all sorts.

      Delete
  10. @?$£ing Hell. If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have thought if possible. Feel the need to pray in the direction of you house

    ReplyDelete
  11. As they say in the Sharpe series"Dave you're a well and proper B*st*rd!" I bow down to your paintiness good sir.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Superb! Welcome back to first place Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really nice painting work. Great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a truly epic submission Dave! You've really done a fantastic job cranking these out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bloody hell Dave!!!! Excellent brushwork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing is Ray.. They are simple to do... Just put the paint in the right place...

      Cheers Ray

      Delete
  16. And here I was starting to feel good about my output again. ;) Fine work Mr. Docherty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another incredible entry - great job Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now sure how I missed this dramatic rocket up the ranks, congratulations on a well deserved hunk-O-points (tm)

    ReplyDelete