Thursday 8 January 2015

From PaulS - I feel like I could take on... (30 Points)


This is a bit of a last minute entry this week, after the massive upload of WotR figures earlier, but I couldn't resist trying to squeeze them in as well.

Shadows of Brimstone comes with 6 tentacles in each box and, as I got both boxes, this week I present the first six... carefully themed after one of my favourite games ever. Take a guess ;)


And as there are only so many ways you can take photos of tentacles, here are a couple of shots of them savaging some mythos explorers from last year's entries to the Painting Challenge. These last two also give you some sense of scale on these things.



Thankfully what you can't seein the photos are some of the overly soft details around the edges, where the poor sprue layout caused some of the suckers to merge into weird blobby messes and for others to become MASSIVE lumps that are easy to mistake for rocks... Like plenty of other people, I took a scalpel to these and tried to clean them up as best I could, but there's only so much you can do to rescue the suckers without cutting them off completely and making new ones... which is probably what I'll do to tentacles 13-24 when they arrive later in the year.

They aren't on bases as they come with them built in and I didn't really see the point in adding clear bases to something that could already stand up!

They may be tall, but they are simple to paint... so these should add another 30 points to the slowly growing total.


From Curt:

Ooh, sweet! I definitely want some of these tentacle, they're totally awesome! The purple skin with green suckers give that wonderfully whacky mythos look about them. Brilliant models for Pulp adventures like 'Strange Aeons'... Great job!

18 comments:

  1. Those are some bad-ass tentacles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great colour choice Paul, they really look the business. Can you possibly modify or at least paint the other set so they are emerging from water perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be quite a lot of hacking to get the sculpted bases off... I might give it a go with the spares later this year, but for now the second six will also be coming from a sandstone type rock so they fit with SoB and my Strange Aeons terrain :)

      Delete
  3. Day of the Tentacle! They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Played the game just before Xmas. Good game. These are likewise nicely rendered and will fit in perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting I like them... I agree with Michael Mills that having some emerging from water would be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been killed by these in the past but yours look much better

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice and interesting. I need them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never can have too many tentacles! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. suitably terrifying for those around them! Very nicely realised, colour choices spot on

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look nice! Just thinking of an excuse why I could need them...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are really neat! I could have fun with those in nearly any setting or scale! I really like the color choice too, and they look nice and slimey! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice colour choices. They look great.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant!
    Nicely painted and presented.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Terrific. Absolutely terrific :-)

    ReplyDelete