Thursday 25 December 2014

From Millsy - 28mm Savage Orcs (135 points)

I'm back again with more Savage Orcs for my rapidly growing army. This time it's 24 straight up Orc Boyz with hand weapons, painted up as Da Grey Skulz tribe. There are also three extra figures below...


Once again these are the second edition models sculpted my Alan Perry. I simply can't get enough of them and in fact another 10 arrived by post this week... :-)


You'll notice a lack of shields on these. I'm struggling to get enough of the old style round shields and am stuck halfway between newer style shields, something left field like a Zulu shield, or just waiting till I have enough. Decisions, decisions!


All my units of regular Boyz are in lots of 24, based 6 files by 4 ranks, all marching out in the rather neat movement trays supplied by Warbases.


The last three figures in the entry are a spare chap to fill out a previous unit, plus a second edition Shaman and a third edition War Boss.



So in total that's 27 miniatures for another 135 points to add to my total. Waaagh!

From Curt:
Another great addition to this army - well done Millsy! Like your previous boyz, I like their facepaint as it nicely breaks up the strong green tone of their flesh. Other than what you've shown us this year, what other units do you have for this force Millsy? Are they pretty much all 2nd Ed models? I really like how relatively bright these guys are; they'll stand out very nicely on the game table. Well done Mr. Mills!

23 comments:

  1. Lovely work there, Mr Mills!

    I'd have thought that you would have cornered the last remaining Savage Orcs by now, yet still you manage to turn them up!

    The hopes of a nation ride with you, but no pressure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice! The speed at which you turn these out is astounding..... I do like the new Brian Nelson orcs, but the perry ones really do have a charm if their own. Reminds me of my old 3rd edition Orc force.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Curt. You are right about the face paint, they do need something to break up all that green and brown! To answer your question, mostly second edition models with the exception of one or two units where I wanted them to be clearly differentiated i.e. Orc Big 'Uns. In total it will be something like 175 models I think? 4 lots or Orc Boyz, 3 lots of Arrer Boyz, 2 lots of Boar Boyz and a pile of hangers on. No sane person would collect and paint these things the way I do...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! Some of my all-time favorite orc models. Great painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. Is that the right phrase to use for orcs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you are not on drugs painting so much so fast! Well done Millsey a cracking amount of orcs. I really am impressed with your speed and skill to get so much done this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent work! Can't stop loving the older GW models.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Superb stuff... The face paint really works well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are stunning, love the face paint

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent! Quite simple, excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have an army of orcs. Now I'm going to repaint it. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take that as quite a compliment thanks :-). Do it if you're really inclined to do it Alex, I do that quite often. DON'T do it just because you've seen something you think is painted better though. If I did that all I would ever do is repaint things!

      Delete
  12. I'm digging the tribes names! Is the boss orc of the Grey Skullz tribe "Skelly-Gore"? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous work! The facial paint is a nice touch and really adds character to this green horde.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks all. Despite the suggestions and the evidence to validate the theory I'm not on drugs. Well not unless painting things is a drug. If that's the case I need help in a big way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great painting work. I like a lot the facial paint.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love 'em, even if they do make me feel bad about how long it is taking me to do 11 figures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cool. The three characters are especially good. I love the goat skins and the bird skull standard - very well done, super orky.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Someone remove his Duracell batteries!

    Cool work as always Millsy :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ugh, stop posting all these old Savage Orcs--I'm going to die from the nostalgia! The Shaman in particular. Wonderful, absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete